Johns Hopkins University, Washington, D.C.
Master of Arts, Writing, December 2011
University of California, San Diego, San Diego, CA
Bachelor of Arts, History, Minor in Philosophy, June 2001
Freelance writer, July 2009 – present
Contributor to various publications, including L.A. Weekly, MensJournal.com, HealthyCal.org, Washingtonian, Northern Virginia Magazine, Bethesda Magazine, Washington Examiner, earthisland.org, blurtonline.com, Whole Life Times, Poway News-Chieftain and the L.A. Times Community Newspapers, among others.
- Have written profiles and features, with an emphasis on health care and housing, lifestyle and entertainment, food and drink, sports, and personalities.
On Tap Magazine, Alexandria, VA
Managing Editor, September 2006 – June 2009
- Guided editorial direction of monthly entertainment magazine with monthly print circulation of 30,000.
- Wrote, assigned and edited articles.
- Managed a staff of freelance writers and photographers (approximately 20 regular contributors) and between 1 and 3 interns each semester.
- Managed production process.
Pomerado Newspaper Group, Poway, California
Sports and Entertainment Editor, October 2004 – August 2006
- Section editor for established group of weeklies with a circulation of 15,000.
- Wrote, assigned and edited articles, did section layout.
- Took initiative of tackling entertainment duties when that editor left. Company named me Employee of the Year in 2005.
- AP Style proficient, basic Photoshop and InDesign skills
- Self starter, can write on deadline
- 15+ years of writing and editing experience
- Completed continuing education classes in copy editing and proof reading following undergrad.
- Fellowship to the Association of Health Care Journalists Health Journalism 2013 conference (2013).
- Fellowship to the Association of Health Care Journalists Rural Health Workshop (2013).
- San Diego Press Club: Second Place, At Large Reporting (2004).
- San Diego Press Club: First Place, Education Reporting (2003).
- Member of the Association of Health Care Journalists (2013).
- IKAR – Active member of L.A. based spiritual community. Managed the annual Thanksgiving food drive.
- Street Sense – Volunteer writer and office employee for this publication that serves the D.C. homeless community. Sept. 2009-May 2011.
- Team in Training – Raised money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society by training for the Suntrust National Marathon. Sept. 2007-April 2009.